Pages

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Slowing Down

Life is busy. There's no doubt about that. My son is only a year and a half and I find myself wishing for more time in a day. So a few days ago when John was talking about taking this Friday off of work I immediately said, yes please! He had no real reason to take the day off, but what a better reason to do it then. No plans, no real to-do list, we had the whole day! We could do whatever we wanted.

I've been kind of dying to go to the city. I basically lived there a good portion of my college days. So being that it had been months since my last visit, I thought why not have a city day? Zoo, beach, the works. We packed our lunch. Pringles, Jewel chocolate chip cookies, Kool-aid Jammers, and we left after rush-hour traffic. We cruised right in and had the best time.

Luca could care less about the animals at the zoo, and it took me a little while to accept that, but once I did, suddenly the day turned magical. While sitting on some steps overlooking the sea lions while John and I watched Luca happily climb up and down the steps to his hearts content, we realized something.... time, it didn't matter. We could sit there as long as we wanted without a care in the world. And we had all the time in the world to just enjoy together, as a family. Whether that be watching Luca climb up and down those steps or walking along the beautiful, open beach on Lake Michigan. There was no time limit to our day, no to-do list. We could just do what we wanted, how we wanted, and when we wanted. And boy was it heavenly.

It was a good lesson learned for me and my husband. We get so wrapped up in always having to be productive. Any day we have off we're always planning, working, cleaning, doing yard work, going to this or that event. But we need days like this. Days where we can just take a step back and enjoy each other. Be a family. With no real plans, no real time lines. And I've decided that days like this are going to become a more regular thing for us. We need them. And maybe you do too.

Cleaning and housework can wait. Life can't.



















No comments:

Post a Comment